Monday, February 17, 2014

5-Molly Kilbane


The Drop Nice-to-Have features theory allows all designer to realize that there is always something or multiple features that can be eliminated from the design for the purpose of it being unnecessary or adding clutter. These features must be diligently removed from the web or application before they are fully constructed or published.  This allows the user to narrow down the essential features and remove the extras or “the nice-to -have that are unnecessary and not useful.
            When reviewing the YouTube web page I noticed a few things that could be removed or fixed. I used the Unnecessary Test to allow me to sort the indispensable features from the needless features.  I don’t think that the recommended channels need to be on the right side of the home page. I think it just makes the home page too busy. I believe that the recommended videos on the right side of the screen are only useful to the user after using the search tool to get similar videos, or videos with related information and details.  I also think that the last row of videos that appear on the home screen with the PewDiePie should be eliminated. It is only videos that certain people find entertaining. It is basically only useful for one targeted group, rather than all users.
            After eliminating these things, and allowing the videos to preload without playing unless you have clicked the play button would make the YouTube webpage more applicable for users. I know a big concern with YouTube is the wait for buffering, so the preload option would aid this problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment