Monday, March 10, 2014

8-Donovan McCloskey

There are a lot of things that I have learned about "playing the whole game" of HCI design in just this short amount of time. First off I learned the importance of taking other people's advice and critique into consideration. When your designing something and only refer to your own perspective, you create something that is only geared to you. Secondly I learned how to positively use usability testing, personas, and sketching to help guide my design in the right direction throughout the whole process. And lastly I think the most important thing that I have learned, besides the loads of life lessons from Marty, is that it is all about the user. When creating, testing, and presenting a design the user must always be the focus. The reason for design in the first place is because of the needs of the user and that's why they are the most critical part of the "whole game".

2 comments:

  1. Adam Schultheis

    I think the part about design being about the user is spot on. The problem with the users is that there are multiple users in different situations using every product. I remember in lecture talking about how a product can be released to use one way and users take it and use it in a completely different way. That is one of the hardest things to predict in this game though. Users definitely have to be the man focus of every design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you about the importance of user and colleague feedback. While it can be difficult to see how users are going to react to a certain product, getting lots of data about how they're using the product while it's still in development can help designers tailor the product to reflect how they want it to be used more closely.

    ReplyDelete