Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Focus

This is a (fairly emotional) video I pulled from one of the guys in the Master's program. This DJ Focus (Kelvin Doe) is from Sierra Lione. MIT found him doing some amazing things in his community. I'd argue he's designing even if he didn't know it, but that's neither here nor there. 

I think the most important part of this video is around the 3:20 mark.




"...becuase, I believe, if you focus you can do an invention perfectly."

http://sftimes.co/?id=115&src=share_fb_new_115 

The point he makes about focus is extremely important in design. In this field you're no longer restricted by what is possible. We, as designers, are not expected to put to code the ideas in our cranium (Awesome! I know!). In essence, the world is our oyster and we are only limited by our imagination. 

This unprecedented amount of freedom leaves us with few rules to abide by and this is why most of our designs go  unappreciated.

In going forth into project 5 (you've received the prompt on Oncourse by now) I advise you to take this advice from Kelvin and I: constraints, constraints, constraints. Turn your focus from the world available to you to one aspect of it. And do that one aspect well. I mean really well. Iterate and look at it critically. Run it past friends and random people to turn it into the best project you can.

Looking forward to our first meeting,
-J


No comments:

Post a Comment