Sunday, March 9, 2014

8-Molly Kilbane


During the previous weeks in lecture, I learned a lot about “playing the whole game.” From the beginning of this semester, I didn’t fully grasp the full meaning of playing the whole game. Lecture –by- lecture and project-by-project I have gained a lot more knowledge and understanding of the playing the whole game concept.  The first concept that I learned was the ability to sketch your notes rather than just scribing them in writing or typing. The sketching helps to jog memory and also allows practicing creativity. We also learned the importance of testing your sketches and designs. Testing is something that should continuously happen through your entire design process.  Another important reminder that has stuck with me through the designing process is to not design for yourself, design for the user. This is the importance of creating a persona and a prototype.  Teamwork is very important in “playing the whole game”. Product designs involve multiple people with different ideas and opinions.  The team protocols of check-in, checkout, and decider are great way to create a productive, successful design team.  The 7 themes of good design allow designers to piece all portions and steps of the project together creating the “playing the whole game effect.”

2 comments:

  1. Gabriel Herman

    I really like that you address the drawing notes rather than writing them. This is a techinique that I remember being suggested from a study skills course I took. While I do not use it because I hae a system that works for me, I realize that in a very image heavy class such as this one, being able to successfully make charts or pictures that show what you know is a good skill to develop. I find your choice of saying "practicing creativity" for the note sketching is interesting. I have always viewed this technique as a way for people to associate terma and concepts with a picture as opposed to it being a medium to express creativity. Again it is important in this class to be creative and your skill in drawing creative ways to express ideas makes this class much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with your statements about testing. I did not really think it was that important when I started this class, but somebody always finds something wrong with the design every time I have them test it. I also agree with designing for the user. The creator of the design knows how to use everything and where everything happens. However, this does not mean that someone else shares the same insight. Most users were not watching over the shoulder of the person who designed it.

    ReplyDelete