HELP systems are a great and useful resource with any product, but users still tend to give up on them. We live in a time where information can be had instantly and without much effort, so when users have to actually browse a HELP system they quickly lose interest when the solution is not quick and easy. Personally, I use HELP systems often. To me, dedicated forums, customer service websites and YouTube tutorials are a fantastic way to pick up critical skills.
I do believe that HELP systems are a necessity. Even the most "obvious" designs are not completely obvious to every user. For this group, HELP systems are a useful resource to consult whenever a problem arises.
As for Project 5, I believe there are many groups and markets which we can tap into, but when it comes to superhero products the target is superhero fanatics and children who enjoy superhero toys. These are the types of people who would enjoy, talk about, and purchase a superhero product.
Sikander,
ReplyDeleteI like your insight into our society that desires information instantly without much effort and how you tied that idea to the conversations about help systems. It is interesting to think how really useful help systems are if people immediately demand information and rarely stop to browse the help option. I think this chapter in our book put it nicely when it said that the main user of help systems are the program and application professionals or regulars, not the new typical user.
Good work.