Monday, March 31, 2014

9 - Taylor Druhot

I think help tutorials will always have a place in design sadly. While I know I hate them and a lot of other people my age hate them (Unless the program really does indeed need a tutorial, ei where obvious design can not be used). There are many older people out there who do not understand that a computer runs different programs and different programs have different interfaces and tools, they only see a computer. I hope that makes sense. I hear a lot from my grandparents, "Well that's not how its done in word." Well not shit you are composing an email grandma. So I think when it comes to the intersection of good design and tutorials, the tutorial should not be thrown at your face the first time you open a program but the design should obviously point you to where you can start a tutorial if you need it.

I have a feeling that is going to be one of the most challenging aspects of this project. We can design for the hard core fans of the superhero, though as history shows when you mess with any aspect of fiction with a huge following there will always be backlash. We can design for the masses, this will upset the the core fan base usually. Lastly, we can design to push a product like what was mentioned in class, this would be part of designing for the masses.

I think the best design would minimize the damage done to the core fan base, in terms of making money these are guys/gals that buy replicas and plunk down huge amounts of money on movie props and such. The core fans do not want to spend money on memorabilia if we "effed up" the character. From here we might have a slim picking of things we can change about the character based upon what the core fan base deems acceptable to change, this is the point we consider the masses. We want the superhero to shine, and to standout from other superheros, he/she needs to be bad-ass. The reason for this is because this is what brings in people to watch movies and tv shows, buy comics and merchandise. The next step would to be to create a product from the new change we implemented that will further establish and differentiate this particular superheros franchise. Thus creating a lasting memory and leaving people wanting more from the superhero franchise.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you. Tutorials are always going to be needed because there will always be someone who does not find the design as obvious. The older generations are probably the majority of this category.

    I like what you said about the backlash of the fan base. I never thought about this aspect. This means that we really need to design something that they will love. Lots of pressure!

    ReplyDelete