Monday, May 5, 2014

Bonus Blog Assignment - Julie Rogers

Looking back on this class, I have realized that it actually did teach me a lot and not just about design. It taught me life lessons and how to work as a group more efficiently which will help me in all aspects of life. I did realize that these things were learned very slow and over the course of the semester. This slow change made me not realize it until looking back on it. Slow change is the key to changing because you cannot just stop something cold turkey or try to start something that you will not actually follow through with after a week to a month or two. 
This class did teach me to take risks. I did not get the results I expected on the first homework assignment. I was really down on my self after this and some feedback from other classes. At this point, I realized that I needed to step it up a bit to be able to get good grades this semester. I took the risk of working with some people that I did not know, which was out of my comfort zone a little bit since I did not know how these people would work with me and if they were reliable or not. It also taught me to take risks in my creativity. I do not consider myself a creative person by any means. I can figure things out but making them look nice is not my forte. I did find out that over the class period, some days I could sketch and others I really could not. My creativity depends on the day. I think this has to do with my mood also. 
I definitely learned in a new way in this class. It was taught very different than my other classes but this one actually had a book that was easy to read and very informative and it also was a more hands on learning approach. We learned about the things in class but then we were put to the test by the projects to actually apply what we learned to the real world. 
Although I learned a lot about design, I did learn more things about myself as stated earlier. I also learned that I am good at working in larger groups than smaller groups. Also, during lecture, I sometimes felt like I needed to change myself and some of my habits. I have been thinking about this for a long time and it has been a work in progress. I have been changing over the years and I am constantly changing. I have changed the most since college and looking back on how I was in high school amazes me. I did not have big dreams when I was in high school. The goal was to go to college. For what? I had no idea. Now that I know what I am majoring in, everyone asks what I want to do with it. I usually tell people that I'm only a sophomore, I don't need to know just yet but I do need to start figuring out what I do like. Since I've been in college though, my dreams have become bigger and I hope that they come true. I realized that I still need to work hard and do things outside of college in order to make these dreams a reality. 
I really did enjoy your class and I loved getting to know more people in the class by working with them and also by having a team where one person did nothing also benefited. It taught me that you will have that in the work place. Even if you do call them out and try your hardest to get them to work, it sometimes doesn't work. The rest of your team, at this point, has to pull together and make up for that person. I never want my team to have to pull together to get things done that I said I would do. So, in closing, thank you for being a great teacher and thank you for having us have mentors. They were super helpful. Have a great summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment